Is everyone set to die in the next season of Game Of Thrones? That’s what the first trailer for season six is teasing.
The 80-second clip takes us back inside the Hall of Faces first seen in season five beneath the House of Black and White and reunites us with the disembodied faces of characters lost so far: Ned, Robb and Catelyn Stark, Joffrey Baratheon and finally Jon Snow.
As the camera moves between their ashen death masks, snippets of their words from the past seasons can be heard.
“The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword,” says Ned (Sean Bean).
“I’ve won every battle but I’m losing this war,” says son Robb (Richard Madden).
“Show them how it feels to lose what they love,” says Catelyn (Michelle Fairley).
“Everyone is mine to torment,” intones Joffrey (Jack Gleeson).
Finally, the face of Jon Snow (Kit Harington) comes into focus, as he says, “The long night is coming… And the dead come with it.”
However, his appearance among characters who are most definitely dead doesn’t confirm that Jon Snow has not survived the attack by the Night’s Watch at the end of the previous season.
Fans can cling on to the sliver of hope that he survives as the final shot focuses on the faces of characters we know to have not yet breathed their last: Tyrion, Cersei and Jaime Lannister, Daenerys Targaryen, and Arya and Sansa Stark.
What does it mean? You’ll have to wait until April 24 when the new season premieres on HBO and Sky Atlantic to find out.