Luas operator Transdev has confirmed it received formal notice of the additional strike action this morning, following a meeting of SIPTU representatives yesterday.
Staff went on strike for four days last month, and a further two days of stoppages are scheduled for next Tuesday 8th and St Patricks Day the following week.
The dispute centres on a pay claim by SIPTU for increases of up to 53% which Transdev said is unsustainable and unaffordable.
Managing Director Gerry Madden said he could not believe that SIPTU were threatening not just the company with their unrealistic pay claim, but were now prepared to negatively effect the economy and Irish people’s livelihoods.
“SIPTU is not just threatening the company with its unrealistic pay claims but is now prepared to jeopardise the Irish economy and Irish jobs,” said Transdev Managing Director, Gerry Madden.
“The state has made great plans for the centenary of 1916 and transport is a vital part of those plans”.
Talks to end the row over pay rises between 8.5pc and 53.8pc and better working conditions were called off last week.
Transdev objected to the discussions because it said drivers were engaged in unofficial action by taking an unprecedented number of toilet breaks.
It said the unofficial action had stopped, so it was deeply regrettable that notice of the Easter strikes had been served.