In the case of the 39 bodies found in a truck at Thurrock, there are new findings. According to the police, all the victims came from Vietnam.
Following the discovery of 39 bodies in a truck in the British town of Grays near London, the police now assume that all the victims come from Vietnam. This was announced by Essex’s deputy police chief Tim Smith. “At this moment, we are assuming that all the victims are Vietnamese citizens, so we are in contact with the Vietnamese government. After the discovery of the bodies on 23 October, the British police first announced that they were Chinese.
Smith said relatives of some of the dead had probably found them. “We are in direct contact with several families in Vietnam and Britain, and we believe we have assigned some families to the victims whose journey ended in a tragedy on our shores. According to Vietnamese media reports, up to 28 families in Ha Tinh and Nghệ provinces reported missing relatives. Above all, the poor Central Vietnamese Nghệ An is considered one of the centres of human trafficking.
Vietnam’s Foreign Minister Pham Binh Minh condoled the victims’ families via Twitter and announced further close cooperation with the UK in the case. Two people were arrested in Vietnam on Friday in connection with this case. The authorities initially did not provide any further details.
Another suspect was also arrested in Ireland. Officials executed a European arrest warrant against a 23-year-old man on Friday, according to the British police. The authorities announced that they would request the extradition of the suspect. The man, who comes from Northern Ireland, is accused of manslaughter in 39 cases as well as human trafficking and immigration offences. The police also asked two suspicious brothers, even from Northern Ireland, to turn themselves into the authorities. The men run a transport company in the Northern Irish town of Armagh.
British newspapers such as The Guardian report that the truck must have driven the same route several times before. The vehicle’s GPS data would suggest this. The Daily Mail quotes a witness in one of the places where the refrigerated truck stopped. He saw 15 to 20 migrants jump off a car three weeks ago. All this suggests that there was a significant operation to smuggle people behind it, they said.
On October 23, the bodies of 31 men and eight women had been discovered in a refrigerated truck. The driver of the car, a 25-year-old Nordine, has already been charged with manslaughter in 39 cases, involvement in human trafficking, aiding and abetting illegal immigration, and money laundering.