Must Read

The solution proposed by Iker Casillas to end the season in Europe

The former captain of Real Madrid and the Spanish team and who intends to stand for election to the...

Elizabeth II addresses the British to ask for "unity" in the face of the pandemic

Elizabeth II addresses the British to ask for "unity" in the face of the pandemic

Closed movie theaters and productions stopped by coronavirus: measures for the audiovisual sector

With the aim of mitigating the financial impact on the sector, ProimAGES Colombia announces different measures that Colombian filmmakers...
Brian Adam
Professional Blogger, V logger, traveler and explorer of new horizons.

The death toll from China’s coronavirus outbreak has jumped to 41 as the Lunar New Year got off to a gloomy start, with Hong Kong declaring a virus emergency, scrapping celebrations, and restricting links to mainland China.

Australia has confirmed its first four cases, Malaysia confirmed three, and France reported Europe’s first cases yesterday, as health authorities around the world scrambled to prevent a pandemic.

Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam has declared a virus emergency in the Asian financial hub, with five confirmed cases, immediately halting official visits to mainland China and scrapping official Lunar New Year celebrations.

Inbound and outbound flights and high speed rail trips between Hong Kong and Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak, would be halted, and schools, now on Lunar New Year holidays, would remain shut until 17 February.

The territory was also treating 122 people suspected of having the disease.

The death toll in China rose to 41 today from 26 a day earlier and more than 1,300 people have been infected globally.

The virus was traced to a seafood market in the central city of Wuhan that was illegally selling wildlife.

Hu Yinghai, deputy director-general of the Civil Affairs Department in Hubei province, where Wuhan is located, has made an appeal for masks and protective suits.

Hospitals in the city have made similar pleas.

“We are steadily pushing forward the disease control and prevention … But right now we are facing an extremely severe public health crisis,” he told a news briefing.

Vehicles carrying emergency supplies and medical staff for Wuhan would be exempted from tolls and given traffic priority, China’s transportation ministry said.

Wuhan said it would ban non-essential vehicles from its downtown starting tomorrow to control the spread of the virus, further paralysing a city of 11 million that has been on virtual lockdown since Thursday, with nearly all flights cancelled and checkpoints blocking the main roads leading out of town.

Authorities have since imposed transport restrictions on nearly all of Hubei province, which has a population of 59 million.

In Australia, three men, aged 53, 43 and 35 in New South Wales were in stable condition after they were confirmed to have the virus after returning from Wuhan earlier this month.

A Chinese national in his 50s, who had been in Wuhan, was also in stable condition in a Melbourne hospital after arriving from China on 19 January, Victoria Health officials said.

State-run China Global Television Network reported in a tweet that a doctor who had been treating patients in Wuhan, 62-year-old Liang Wudong, had died from the virus.

It was not immediately clear if his death was already counted in the official toll of 41, of which 39 were in the central province of Hubei, where Wuhan is located.

Reinforcements to Wuhan

The World Health Organisation (WHO) declared the new coronavirus an “emergency in China” this week but stopped short of declaring it of international concern.

Human-to-human transmission has been observed in the virus.

China’s National Health Commission said it had formed six medical teams totalling 1,230 medical staff to help Wuhan.

Hubei province, where authorities are rushing to build a 1,000 bed hospital in six days to treat patients, announced today that there were 658 patients affected by the virus in treatment, 57 of whom were critically ill.

The newly-identified coronavirus has created alarm because there are still many unknowns surrounding it, such as how dangerous it is and how easily it spreads between people.

It can cause pneumonia, which has been deadly in some cases.

Symptoms include fever, difficulty breathing and coughing.

Most of the fatalities have been in elderly patients, many with pre-existing conditions, the WHO said.

New Year disruptions

Airports around the world have stepped up screening of passengers from China, though some health officials and experts have questioned the effectiveness of such screenings.

There are fears the transmission could accelerate as hundreds of millions of Chinese travel during the week-long Lunar New Year holiday, which began today, although many have cancelled their plans, with airlines and railways in China providing free refunds.

The virus outbreak and efforts to contain it have put a dampener on what is ordinarily a festive time of year.

Sanya, a popular resort destination on the southern Chinese island of Hainan, announced that it was shutting all tourist sites, while the island’s capital city, Haikou, said visitors from Wuhan would be placed under 14-day quarantine in a hotel.

Shanghai Disneyland was closed from today. The theme park has a 100,000 daily capacity and sold out during last year’s Lunar New Year holiday.

Beijing’s Lama Temple, where people traditionally make offerings for the new year, has also closed, as have some other temples.

Protective suits

In Beijing, workers in white protective suits checked temperatures of passengers entering the subway at the central railway station, while some train services in eastern China’s Yangtze River Delta region were suspended, the local railway operator said.

The number of confirmed cases in China stands at 1,287.

The virus has also been detected in Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Nepal, and the United States.

The US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention said yesterday it had 63 patients under investigation, with two confirmed cases.

While China has called for transparency in managing the crisis, after cover-up of the 2002/2003 Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome spread, officials in Wuhan have come in for criticism over their handling of the current outbreak.

In rare public dissent, a senior journalist at a Hubei provincial newspaper run by the ruling Communist Party yesterday called for a “immediate” change of leadership in Wuhan on the Twitter-like Weibo. The post was later removed.

More Articles Like This

Latest News

The solution proposed by Iker Casillas to end the season in Europe

The former captain of Real Madrid and the Spanish team and who intends to stand for election to the...

Elizabeth II addresses the British to ask for "unity" in the face of the pandemic

Elizabeth II addresses the British to ask for "unity" in the face of the pandemic <img src = "https://intallaght.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/1586121773.jpg" alt="Queen...

Closed movie theaters and productions stopped by coronavirus: measures for the audiovisual sector

With the aim of mitigating the financial impact on the sector, ProimAGES Colombia announces different measures that Colombian filmmakers can take advantage of, such...

America prepares for its "toughest week039; quot;

America prepares for its "toughest week039; quot; <img src = "https://intallaght.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/1586117871.jpg" alt="Donald Trump, during a press conference at the White...

Soccer in literature: ten books to quarantine

Throughout the history of literature there has always been a gap for stories in which the ball has had relevance. From wars, murders and...